The Location

The Joachimsthalsches Gymnasium was founded in 1607 – an impressive complex of buildings, idyllically situated among the woods and lakes of the Uckermark region, about one hour away by car from Berlin and Szczecin/Stettin. Until its closure in 1956, it was regarded as one of the foremost schools in the German-speaking countries. The new school will build on the 400-year history of the Joachimsthalsches Gymnasium and its ties to the Reformation and the Enlightenment. Several illustrious figures who are associated with the school include Frederick II, Wilhelm von Humboldt, Carl Friedrich Zelter, Carl Dierke and Erwin Panofsky.